Cromarty East Church. SRCT.
Conservation News

Painted Pew designs revealed

06 March 2011

painted pew, East church, CromartyThe painted pew panels have been revealed in glorious technicolour thanks to the skilled work of Fiona and Karen of Scottish Wall Paintings Conservators. Through painstaking and delicate work they have gradually revealed designs that haven't been seen for many decades.

These include two coat-of arms, one shield bears a stag's head - a symbol associated with the Mackenzie Clan - whilst the other includes trellised ermine, which is used by MacCullochs.

Hugh MacCulloch, whos initials H MC are on the front of the pew, sat here in 1741, when the north aisle was completed, but who  K MK was remains unknown.

The north loft was entered by external stairs when it was first built, and the way in was past the painted pew, a colourful arrival for the loft occupants.

 

painted pew, East Church, Cromarty

 

 painted pew, East Church, Cromarty

 

 

  painted pew, East Church, Croamarty 

 

 

 

 

painted pew, East Church, Cromarty

Latest News Stories

Become a friend
Support the work of the Scottish Redundant Churches Trust in looking after historic buildings like the East Church. more »

Contact Us | Links | Sitemap | Copyright Cromarty East Church © 2008